A sketch of New Hanover Lutheran Church in 1768
In 1768, after having worshiped in three log structures for the first three-quarters of a century that it existed, the congregation at New Hanover dedicated its new stone edifice, the building which continues to serve to this day.
During the War for American Independence, the new church building served in a way its builders did not anticipate. In the autumn of 1777 the Continental Army, led by General George Washington, retreated before the oncoming British. They carried with them their wounded from Brandywine and Paoli. As the army moved north of the Schuylkill River, encampments were established from Pottsgrove to Towamencin, and the church at New Hanover became a temporary hospital.
In 1777-1778, the Reverend Frederick Augustus Muhlenberg, son of Henry, served the New Hanover congregation. He later entered civil life and served both in the Continental Congress and the first Congress of the United States, where he became the first Speaker of the House of Representatives.
|File name||New Hanover Evangelical Lutheran Church.jpg|
|Dimensions||600 x 463|
|Linked to||Johann Benjamin Geiger (Christening); Catherina Kiehl (Christening)|